"Friendship improves happiness, and abates misery, by doubling our joy and dividing our grief." - Addison

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Something New...

I was sitting at work for the last time today because I am quitting to move to Idaho (another story, another post), and I was chatting with my friend who mentioned that she was having trouble with her blog and that it wasn't working like it was suppose to. I was a bit taken by surprise because she is not the type (in my book of "types") that I would expect to have a blog. Don't get me wrong, after I learned of her blogging love, she became that "type" to me. :) And after we chatted about it for about a whole 2 minutes, she convinced me to start a blog. It was really that easy. So things began this morning, approximately 2 hours ago after our conversation. I am convinced that I need to "blog" about my life. Especially so that she could still be somewhat involved with the things going on in my life.

See the thing is, I LOVE to read blogs. Especially my SIL Whitney Ingram's blog (check her out in my list of "Blogs that Rock!"). She is an outstanding writer and executes with the perfect dash of wit to make her blog perfectly addicting. Yes. I do consider her blog one of my current drugs. I look at it almost everyday. The reason I say "almost" is because first of all, she doesn't write everyday. And second of all, I need to not let this addiction of mine take over my life. It was like the time I was in 7th or 8th grade and I had a myspace account. I remember consistently going on to myspace for what I thought was just "3 minutes", which in actuality was usually about 2 or 3 hours. HOURS. So in order to save myself from the myspace vortex, I decided that I absolutely had to delete it...without any further thoughts. So I did. And I did it proudly. Thank you. Thank you.

And then came the Facebook era, of which we are currently living in. I joined Facebook in the year 2006 and not by choice. I had a friend who had asked me a question about Facebook and if I knew how to do something on it, or what not. I had NO CLUE what she was talking about. When she found out that I didn't have a Facebook, she thought that was the most absurd thing she had ever heard and made one for me out of the kindness of her heart. Then, one of my past roommates felt that she needed to do me the favor of labeling all of my profile "likes" and "dislikes" with what she thought that I liked and disliked so that people who looked at my page could get to know the "real me". I really appreciate their hard work on behalf of my Facebook. If it weren't for them and the pity they took on me, I really believe I would not currently have a Facebook. So thank you my dear friends.

Anyway, back to my "I love blogs" rant. I do love blogs, but for some reason I have always been highly intimidated by the fact that if I ever got one, someone would actually read it. I know, it seems slightly ridiculous for me to truly care whether or not someone will read this. I am not planning on telling anyone about it, so why would I care who reads this. :) However, if you know me and you are reading this, I am sure it is because it either slipped from my very own lips or someone I know told you.

I want to talk to you about my blog title "The Heart of My Life". It was a tough one as I was sitting and thinking about what I wanted to title my blog and if I even wanted a title. I was remembering back in April when I wrote a long text late one night to a cousin of mine, Nicole, who had just had a brand new baby girl. If you know me, you know that I am very close to a lot of my cousins. And Nicole is not excluded from that closeness. Anyway, around the time she had her baby, my dear sweet Grammy passed away from Pancreatic Cancer in her lungs. (I know, its weird because she was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in her pancreas and had the surgery to get it removed and she survived it. The odds of surviving one of those is slim and the odds of surviving both is inconceivable. Yet, my Grammy was a fighter and she did both! But her luck did not last because the cancer spread into her lungs.) I was close with my Grammy, very close. So close that me and another cousin of mine named Brianna would go almost every sunday for about a year to eat dinner with my Grammy and then sit for an hour or two and record her life history. It was sooo incredible. I recommend the opportunity to EVERYONE. Please do yourself a favor and take it if you ever get the chance. Well, the way my Grammy's death and my cousins new baby relates to my title is... well, may be a little difficult for me to explain so bear with me. Since they both happened around the same time, I started to think a lot about the process of life. I thought about how it amazing it is that when one door closes, another seems to always present itself or another seems to swing open and something just shoves (not pushes) us through. I thought of both my cousin and my Grammy because my Grammy had lived a wonderful life that was full of love and happiness, pain and heartache. By the time she had passed, she had mentioned to me that she was ready to go and that she had been preparing to meet her Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. She wanted to thank them and praise them for their love and concern for her that she always felt was in her life. In contrast with the passing of her life, was the blessing of my cousins new baby girl. This beautiful baby is healthy and has yet a whole world and life ahead of her. The whole situation that I was thinking about was an incredible miracle to me, of which I considered to be the heart of our lives. We live our lives everyday with new adventures and new opportunities. The heart of it is who you are as you are living your life, whether old or young. So this is part of my new adventure of my life. I constantly feel that I am on a new adventure everyday and everyday that I am on it, it helps to further define who I am, and what my hearts greatest intentions are. So... if you know about this blog then know that you are joining me on my new adventure of my life and of this crazy blog that I have no idea what I am doing or writing about.... wish me luck!!!

1 comment: